Unique paintings, humorous illustrations, passionate calligraphies…
All of these are created by people with disabilities.
Able Art Company was founded to bring these works of art to larger society.
We serve as a conduit between the artists with disabilities and the commercial end users interested in incorporating their art into their designs and products.
We generate new jobs for people with disabilities.
Through art and design, our aim is to realize a society that everybody can express who they are as they are.
Who We Are
Able Art Company was founded in April 2007 with the purpose to create an environment where people with disabilities can make a living through art.
Three not for profit organizations (NPO) that specialize in working with art and people with disabilities manage the Company.
We represent the artists and manage commercial use of their works. For example, their paintings, illustrations and calligraphies can be licensed for advertisements and product designs.
Tanpopo-no-ye Foundation (Nara prefecture), Able Art Japan (Tokyo pref.), and Non-Profit Organization MARU (Fukuoka pref.) co-manage Able Art Company. The Company headquarter is within Tanpopo-no-ye.
What We Do
1. We register artists with disabilities as Company Artist, represent and showcase their works, and manage licensing for commercial use.
* Please contact us for modification and partial use. Intended purpose varies, and it is up to your idea.
* Artist profiles and some of our sample artworks are viewed on our website. We also offer digital portfolio for all works in DVD format upon your request.
* Each artist signs a contract with the Company to allow licensing of their works. The company offers a seamless service to licensees.
2. We publicize their works through multiple channels
* We manage sales and marketing to promote product design and advertising incorporating the works of Company Artists. Our marketing efforts include trade shows, exhibits and temporary use of major commercial spaces to showcase actual products.
* We also develop our own line of products for sale.
* New illustrations can be commissioned. Terms depend on each artist. Please contact us for specific information.
3. Managing and operating the artists who are disabled.
* We operate open recruitment and selections.
* We pay copyright fees for Company Artists upon their actual achievement.
* About our Open Recruitment
Once a year, between October and December
4. Operating lectures, study sessions, forums introducing our activities.
* Presenting and introducing programs by Company Artists, staff, designers and our clients. Any ideas for various projects, programs and questions are welcome.
What We’ve Done Our Track Records
1. Licensing (printed products, clothes, packages, etc.)
2. Promotions (events, trade shows and expos, etc.)
3. Media appearances (newspapers, magazines)
Why We Started
One of the reasons behind the birth of Able Art Company is the 2006 revision of the Employment Promotion Act for People with Disabilities as well as the implementation of the Services and Support Promotion Act for People with Disabilities. These two Acts are meant to promote more equitable access to jobs and opportunities for people with disabilities, however, the range and the number of jobs available is still quite limited and we still lack effective social support structure for job creation.
One promising area of job creation was through art, however, the lack of representation and visibility made it difficult to connect the designers interested in works of disabled artists with the artists themselves. The lack of familiarity on the artist’s side on how to manage copyrights and contracts also posed significant obstacles. Able Art Company began as a business to address these concerns from both users and the creators and to act as a centralized administrator of information about artists and their works.
Our primary aim is to spread the idea that people with disability can earn a living through art-art as a profession rather than a mere means of self actualization and societal participation.
Terms and conditions
The art works of our Company Artists (drawings, illustrations, calligraphies) are available for your company advertisement, promotion tool, appearing on magazines, and published materials and so on.
Although we have our standard price settings, the prices are various range depends on your purpose. Please feel free to contact us via inquiry form with your plans about details and specifications. Exact price will be fixed upon meetings. Please use our contact form.
We lend-out a DVD, digital portfolio, with all of our art works at the time. Graphical images that you find on our Website are not showing all of our images. The DVD is lent upon your request. We need to know if you need the DVD for Macintosh or Windows. Needless to say, those graphical images on our Website and DVD are not copyright free. It is strictly prohibited to use without our permission and agreement.
We appreciate for your information if you already have specific plan, such as purpose of use, size of use, number of copies, durations, and so on.
There are possibilities to require one to two weeks until you can start to use our service or the art works you requested was not for service in rare cases. It sometimes occurs because of the reason of purpose or sizes.
We are deeply appreciated for your earlier inquiry in case you would use the art works partially, print full page over A4 size, or use the art works outdoor billboard.
Receiving of graphical image of art works you ordered is on digital data in general, and it is sent via our web server system or we send the CD-ROM via parcel delivery service. Please note that delivery cost is on cash on arrival basis and the costs vary depends on where we send to.
For additional information, please contact us. We are here to assist you.